Use Delicious to Manage & Tag Your Bookmarks
What is delicious?
Delicious is a social bookmarking site that is used for storing, sharing and discovering bookmarks in a form that can be accessed anywhere on the web. It’s particularly notable for its powerful tagging facility, which lets users create their own folksonomies.
Why should I use it?
The immediate benefit to using delicious or another social bookmarking site is that it makes your bookmarks portable, and easily searchable. It doesn’t matter if you’re at home or at work or even in the same country – you can make use of your bookmarks no matter where you go.
Using Delicious, you’ll also find yourself bookmarking many more things than you would otherwise. Because it’s so quick and simple both to tag new sites and find them again later, and you don’t have to worry about things like profile space, you an just keep on adding more and more new bookmarks.
The other big benefit is, like RSS, it helps you keep up to date with minimal effort. Delicious lets you share your bookmarks with others, but it also lets you see what bookmarks are being added by your friends and colleagues, or by people you just think are interesting. You can also subscribe to individual tags, and see what bookmarks are being added to them minute by minute.
That really cool article about the future of libraries? Rather than post it to SOX where it may well get ignored, share it accross your network. Looking for resources on teaching information literacy? Browse the tag clouds of your colleagues or just other users at large.
But don’t just take our word for it:
To Complete Task 6:
- Start a delicious (new window) account. Note – it may ask you to install a plugin for your browser. You don’t need to do this, as it should already have been installed for you. The plugin appears as some extra buttons on internet explorer:
- – Clicking on this takes you to the Delicious homepage.
- – Clicking on this opens your Delicious bookmarks in internet explorer
- – Clicking on this allows you to quickly bookmark new sites
- Add five bookmarks to delicious and tag them. There are a few ways to do this:
- use the delicious tag button on your toolbar
- right click in the page and select ‘bookmark this page in delicious‘
- in a newspaper article, for instance, scroll down to ‘share this item’ options e.g. at http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24611771-12377,00.html – and click on the delicious symbol
- copy the url of the page you want to save, go to your delicious account, select ‘save a new bookmark’, and paste in the url
All done? Move on to the second part Thing for this week – LibraryThing!